Kids’ Camps Volunteers
*Only DaVita teammates are currently eligible to volunteer with Bridge of Life (BOL). Volunteers participating in medical camps for kids sessions may need to complete a separate application with the camp in addition to BOL’s regular application, so early applications are encouraged.
Every BOL medical mission is led by volunteers who are knowledgeable, experienced and passionate about improving healthcare across the globe.
Volunteers for BOL’s kids’ camps sessions usually include medical and non-clinical volunteer roles such as:
- Cabin counselors
- Kitchen volunteers
BOL’s volunteer selection process is based upon the needs of each specific camp session. Below is list of FAQs specific to the kids’ camps program. Please see the Volunteer page for additional volunteer information and FAQs. For volunteer questions, please contact BOLProgram@bolteam.org.
FAQs on Volunteering for the Kids’ Camps Program through BOL
1.Is lodging and food included?
Yes, all volunteers will receive food and lodging from the camp. Camp counselors will bunk with the campers (usually 6-8 campers per cabin), and medical volunteers will stay in volunteer cabins. Most camps cannot accommodate individual cabins. Volunteers will receive meals from the camp dining facility.
2.Do I have to use my PTO?
Yes, all teammates will need to use PTO during their volunteer time at the camp.
3.What expenses does BOL cover?
- If you drive to camp, BOL will reimburse you for the travel mileage to and from camp. BOL will not pay for a rental car.
- If you fly to camp, BOL will purchase your airline ticket and reimburse you for ground transportation (camp shuttle) to and from the destination airport and the camp. BOL will not pay for your airport parking, airport travel mileage or rental car. If you are flying to camp, and a hotel is required, BOL will cover the cost of your accomodations.
- BOL will reimburse your immunization expenses up to $300 per teammate. You can choose to pay for any shots on your own and then turn in your receipt for reimbursement OR cover these expenses on your own as a donation to BOL. You can also apply to DVN to assist with vaccination costs.
- BOL will reimburse you for any fingerprinting or expenses associated with criminal history reports.
- BOL will pay for a medical license if the camp charges you for this expense (the camp may choose to cover the cost of a temporary license).
4.Why do volunteers fundraise?
Volunteers are asked to fundraise $250 (for volunteers who drive to camp) or $500 (for volunteers who fly to camp) toward the kids’ camps program. Volunteer contributions will offset some of BOL’s covered expenses.
BOL will provide volunteers with the tools and ideas to help meet fundraising goals. The funds volunteers raise help to make future BOL missions possible!
5.Can a family member participate at the camp with me?
Family members will have to apply independently to camps by visiting the camp’s website. The minimum age to volunteer at most camps is 18 (at some camps, the minimum age is 19). BOL cannot support the expenses of family members. If you are flying to camp and volunteering with a family member, please let BOL know, and we will work to coordinate you and your family member’s travel itinerary.